Change requirement level at runtime

I've made quite some posts around how to dynamically modify the form by using JavaScript. One thing I haven't posted around yet, but what I do use quite often, is to modify the requirement level of attributes on the form at runtime. Based on a selection in the system, another field could become required. Also if the selection changes again, then the field should not be required anymore. Here is the code for making a field optional, recommended or required:


// Set field to not required
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 0);

// Set field to business required
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 1);

// Set field to business recommended
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 2);


Update: new code placed based on the comment by Peter. Before the update I had this piece of code:


// set the field required (i.e. show error message when field is not filled in)
crmForm.all.fieldname.req = 2;

// modify the label to be red
crmForm.all.fieldname_c.className = 'req';

8 comments:

Peter van Amerongen said...

You can also use this method:

// Set field to not required
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 0);

// Set field to business required
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 1);

// Set field to business recommended
crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel("fieldname", 2);

which I personally like more because everything is handled with just 1 line of code instead of 2.

M said...

It would be very useful if you could start tagging your posts with the CRM version. Is this likely to be supported in v4 ?

Ronald Lemmen said...

Hi M,

I wish I could do that, but for now I still am not allowed to say if something is available / supported or not in Titan.

I would like to share that Titan is just build on top of CRM v3, so most of my posts will also work for Titan.

Ronald

M said...

Oh, I see - I hadn't thought of non-disclosure issues! Thanks.

cem said...

Hi Ronald,

hope you may help me on the below issue,

frequently, crm mailbox is getting full and i need to delete the items to maintain the process flow smoothly.

how can i prevent the crm mailbox getting full, any ideas appreciated.

many thanks,
cem

Suresh said...

The field on Form becomes business recommended when I change the related field, but if I remove the value in the related field the other field does not revert back to not required. I need it to change back to not required. I hope you can help and look forward to your answer!

Anonymous said...

Peter,

I implemented your script for changing the required field to no constraint and it worked. Great! but when I tried to save the record it throws an error "Invalid Argument". Please help.

Jimmy

ASPECT - Dean Gudac said...

The syntax has changed for CRM 2011


// No Constraint
Xrm.Page.getAttribute("field_schema_name").setRequiredLevel("none");

// Business Required
Xrm.Page.getAttribute("field_schema_name").setRequiredLevel("required");

// Business Recommended
Xrm.Page.getAttribute("field_schema_name").setRequiredLevel("recommended");